Enjoy the season that sustains your reason
The Holiday Season moves into full swing now that Thanksgiving has come and gone. And so, to you and your loved ones, Season’s Greetings and Happy Holidays.
Has the year been what you hoped and expected?
How you answer this question will depend on what’s important to you or the reason that sustains you to get out of bed each day. If your primary reason is to put a roof over your head and those you love, provide food, maintain good health and buy gas for the car(s) to keep everything going and you have been successful all year then life is good. If your primary reason is this and more and again you have been successful, then life is good.
How does 2015 look?
Based on what I’m seeing, 2015 is setting up to be an awesome year for those that own and operate a business or are thinking about doing so, Here’s why:
- According to an article in the Wall Street Journal, the US economy in the 3rd quarter of 2014 saw a revised GDP figure of 3.9%. This is the fastest pace the US economy has experienced in more than a decade.
- The price of oil has come down from a peak of $115 per barrel to now $70 and is expected to go lower. This will bring the cost of a gallon of gas to less than $2.50 and according to an article on CNBC, will provide an approximate $125 billion tax cut.
- According to data from Custora, internet sales on Black Friday were up 20.6% compared to a year ago. It also said that if the data holds up, Black Friday’s online sales may even surpass 2013’s Cyber Monday to become “the biggest shopping day in U.S. history.”
- CNBC also reported that US Corporate profits hit a new high of $1.87 trillion or 10.3 per cent of GDP. This means US Corporations have money to return to investors and money to spend on improving their business.
- The US unemployment rate per the Bureau of Labor statistics shows at the start of the year the rate was 6.6%. In October it was 5.8% and is expected to finish the year at about 5.7%. Lower unemployment means more people have jobs which gives them money to spend.
- Small business lending continues to grow. According to the Coleman Report, at the end of September, 2012, $15.15 billion dollars in 7A loans were approved. At the end of September, 2013 the figure was $17.87 billion. At the end of September, 2014 the figure was $19.19 billion. The growth in small business lending shows an increase in small business entrepreneurs and small businesses are the growth engine of the economy.
- The recent US elections brought a Republican congress in both the House of Representatives and Senate. The good news is that not only are Republicans pro-business, but the next elections are two years away and so we don’t have to worry about elections for another two years.
The great thing about Thanksgiving and the Holiday season is that it reminds and allows us to slow down and reflect on what’s important to us. We each have a reason for being and our own means of measuring our success. That is, we each have a different reason that motivates and sustains us and keeps us going during the rest of the year. So once again, Season’s greetings, best wishes for a Happy Holiday and a wonderful New Year and I hope 2015 is your best year ever.
If you would like more information about buying a business, buying a franchise, starting a business or selling a business, please visit my website Business Advice Books.